The Quiet life

Its the little moments in life.. a summer walk on the beach, a hike up the mountain, handing spare change to the homeless, indulging in ice cream, soaking your feet in the hot-tub, comforting people, road-trip weekends, sports, outdoors, cooking dinner, or catching up on old times; this is the simple life.
I lead that quiet simple life. I do what i need to make a means come to an end, and at the end of the day; I come home to my place of refugee.
I am not run by things of the world, nor do I let them run me; this IS my quiet life pledge to myself.
Enjoy!
JD

Friday, December 24, 2010

Giving- The fakeness of Christmas

So here it is the dawn of Christmas and i have locked myself in the coffee shop most of the morning hiding away from the one reason why I came here to visit. Each Christmas season I keep swearing to high heaven that i am NOT going to do this again this year. I procrastinate until the last day to do any shopping, and end up scrambling to get whatever I can. Every time I keep telling myself next year I am going to do something crafty, memorable, and long lasting; only to find failure each year. As my family comes together I feel obligated to get gifts for everyone, as my sister see's fit to flaunt her wealth to everyone. In her eyes i know that she is giving the gift of giving from the heart, but hardly does she know the pressure that it puts on someone to find something for everyone.
As I dive further in the corner of the coffee shop, i keep hearing the same things. Mom got me this, but I hate it. Dad never likes anything that i get. Why is it that each year, we keep giving the gifts not from the heart, but the fact that the "world" deems once a year. This next year i know what i am going to do. Each time I see a gift that I know reminds me of that person, i am going to buy it and stash it in a dark corner of my house. When I feel the need to send them a gift, I will. Christmas may come earlier for some, and may not come at all for others. So deal with it, next year instead of a dark coffee corner, i VOW to be on a warm sunny beach; at least i hope so.

No comments: